Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hey Paolo!

(And yes, the title is a play on Paula Abdul's failarious reality show "Hey Paula!")

The first time I heard Paolo Nutini, I was driving home on a sweaty evening in the summer of 2007. When his song "Last Request" came through my speakers, I had to turn the AC up to full blast. Lost in his raspy croon, I thought to myself, "Woo-whee. Now that sounds like a NYOILF*."
*NYOILF = A ninety year-old I'd like to...friend on facebook. 
(Hi, Mom.)
Imagine my surprise when I found out the lad is only half a year older than I am.

While Paolo's faster, upbeat tunes are fun ("Pencil Full of Lead" has a Louis Prima vibe that gets me all nostalgic) I'm partial to the songs of his that heed the instructional opening lyrics that originally got me hooked on the soulful scot.

Slow Down,
Lie Down,
Remember it's just you and me

Yes, Yes, Yes, sir.

This song, "No Other Way," from his most recent album, Sunny Side Up, is a new favorite of mine. 
That young old sound just gets me swaying. 
(Some swooning might also occur.)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete